HOUSSAM Al KHARRAT, MD
Education & Medical Experience:
Member of Crohn’s and Colitis Foundation of America
Member of American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
American College of Gastroenterology
American Medical Association
American Gastroenterological Association
- Reception of service award at covenant health system, Lubbock 2017.
- Recognition by American Cancer Society for establishing and running community free colon cancer screening program for underserved population in Lubbock county
- Recognition by the American Cancer Society on the effort to perform colon cancer screening on the underserved population in Bridgeport, 2003
- Recognition for Scholarly Activity in Telemedicine at Yale New Haven Health System, Bridgeport Hospital, 2002
- Recognition for Scholarly Activity in Telemedicine at Yale New Haven Health System, Bridgeport Hospital, 2001
- Holden Award for Outstanding Resident Research at Bon Secours Hospital, 1996-1997
- Certificate of Appreciation, OHEP Center for Medical Education, MI, 1999
Licenses & Certification:
- Board certified in Gastroenterology 2003
- Board certified in Internal Medicine 2000
- Permanent medical license, State of Texas, 2004
Publications & Presentation:
- Matthew P. Soape, Houssam Al Kharrat, Seshardi Thirumala, Granulmoatous Liver Disease Secondary to Brucella Melitensis: A Rare Disease with an unusual Presentation ACG 2012 annual scientific meeting Abstracts, Las Vegas, NV
- Mattew P. Soape, , Seshardi Thirumala, Houssam Al Kharrat Large , Symptomatic fibroid Polyp Treated Endoscopically, Case Report and Review of Literatures. ACG 2012 Annual Scientific Meeting Abstracts, Las Vegas, NV
- O.Shoukfeh, S. Deeb, H AlKharrat, MD Early Detection of Diaphragm’s Disease of the Small Bowel and Impact on Management Am J Gastroentrology 2007; (100) Supplement to Sept 2007.
- H. Al Kharrat et Al. Acute Mediastitis Secondary To Ruptue Esophageal Diverticula In Patient With Esophageal Diverticulosis. Am J Gastroentrology 2006; Abstract # 573, presented at ACG, Las Vegas 2006.
- H. Al Kharrat et Al. Tongue and Malt Lymphoma with no other GI involvement. Abstract, presented at ACG, Las Vegas 2006.
- H. Al Kharrat et Al. CT Angio And Capsule Endoscopy Correlation In A Patient With Sclerosing Mesentritis. Abstract # 607, presented at ACG, Las Vegas 2006.
- Al Kharrat, Gatifloxacin Induced liver failure in patient with underlying fibrin ring granuloma caused by Q Fever. Abstract, Am J Gastroenterology 2006; (100) Supplement to Sept 2006.
- Kaufman D, Al Kharrat H, Grayer D, Superior mesenteric artery syndrome. Am J Gastroenterology 2003; 98(9)
- Kaufman D, Al Kharrat H, Roberts I. Appropriateness and timing of antibiotic prophylaxis for endoscopic procedures: result of a national survey. Am J Gastroenterology 2003; 98(9)
- Kaufman D, Al Kharrat H, Weiss S et al, “EUS-guided endoscopic removal of a large Brunner’s gland hamartoma”, Gastointestinal Endoscopy 2003; 58(2): 133-134
- Houssam Al Kharrat, M.D.; Howard Taubin, MD “Carcinoid Crisis Induced by External Manipulation of Liver Metastasis”, Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology, Vol 36, No 1, 2003, 87-88
- H. Al Kharrat ”Pneumatosis Intestinalis”, review article, The Fellow Reporter, American College of Gastroenterology, 66th Annual Scientific Meeting, Las Vegas, Nevada. October 19-24, 2001, Vol 7, No1, p 58-61
- Houssam Al Kharrat, Alan Nelson, David Kaufman, Ingram Roberts. “Duodenal MAI and Whipple disease: endoscopic differences and pathologic similarity”, Am J Gastroenterology, Sept 2002, A 434
- Houssam Al Kharrat, David Kaufman, Ingram Roberts, “Hepatic hydrthorax with minuscule ascites, a clinical challenge”, Am J Gastroenterology, Sept 2002, A 552
- Al Kharrat H, Kaufman D, Grayer D, H “Putting a PEG in a Patient with Self-Expanding Metal Stent, A Different Approach” GI Endoscopy, 2002; 55: 141.
- Tabrez S, Balta O, Al Kharrat H, Nelson A, Grayer D, Roberts I, “Herpetic Esophagitis Secondary to Infliximab Infusion.” Am J Gastroenterology, 2001; 96:A10.
- Al Kharrat H, Tabrez S, Link R, Roberts I, “Vibrio Parahaemolyticus as a Cause for Necrotizing Fasciitis in a Patient with Cirrhosis”, Am J Gastroenterology, 2001; 96:A125.
- Al Kharrat H, Tabrez S, Foster G, Roberts, I, “Use of Digital Poster in Clinical Presentation: Can You Survive It” Am J Gastroenterology, 2001; 96 :A173.
- Tabrez Sh, Tabrez Sa, Al Kharrat H, Nagar A, Muralidharan V, Pinto M, Davis G, Roberts I, “Abdominal Compartment Syndrome Due to a Large Abdominal Cyst” Am J Gastroenterology, 2001; 96:A246.
- Tabrez S, Muralidharan V, Al Kharrat H, Tabrez Sa, Upadaya U, Balta O, Soloway G, Taubin H, Roberts I, “A Case of Clostridial Pancreatitis: A Medical Nightmare” Am J Gastroenterology, 2001; 96:A246.
- Tabrez S, Muralidharan V, Tabrez Sa, Al Kharrat H, Jain M, Weiser J, Weiss S, Roberts I, “GIST Leiomyosarcoma arising from the Stomach Mimicking a Pseudocyst of the Pancreas: A Challenging Presentation”. Am J Gastroenterology, 2001; 96:A246
- Al Kharrat H, Soloway G, Roberts I, “A Case of Duodenal Stricture as a Complication of Asymptomatic Celiac Disease and no Evidence Of Lymphoma.” Am J Gastroenerology, 2000: A2559.
- Al Kharrat H, Tabrez S, Taubin H, “Carcinoid Crisis Precipitated by External Manipulation of the Tumor During Ultrasound and Physical Exam” Am J Gastroenerology, 2000:A2559.
- Al Kharrat H, O’Neill A, Anar M, “Wegener’s Granulomatosis Diagnosed by Nose Biopsy.” Poster presentation at ACP meeting, Grand Rapids, MI, December 1997 & ACP Meeting in Traverse City, MI, September 1997.
- Al-Malki Q, Syed M, Kazmouz G, Al Kharrat H, Ali A, Jacobsen G, Jafri S, “Prognostic Value of Exercise Echocardiography in an Outpatient Population.” J Am Society of Echocardiography, 1997; 10:A393.
- Scholz S, Al Kharrat H, Nibbio B, Epple A, “Opioid Effects on Macrovascular Dopamine Release.” General and Comparative Endocrinology, 1997. 105; 239-245.
- Weiss U, Al Kharrat, Nibbio B, Porta A, Epple A, “Magnesium and Nicotinergic Effects on Cathecholamine Release from Chromaffin Cells.” Presentation as part of an international meeting on Mg in Stuttgart-Germany, Magnesium-Bulletin, 18, 3, 1996.
- Al Kharrat H, Epple A, Weiss U, Tran Q, Nibbio B, “Cholinergic Control of Cathecholamine Release in the Eel.” General and Comparative Endocrinology.1997; 108:102-108.
Chief of Gastroenterology at Covenant Medical Center- Lubbock, Texas
Clinical Assistant Professor of Internal Medicine, Texas Tech Health
Science Center- Lubbock, Texas
Chief of Gastroenterology at Covenant Medical Center- Lubbock, Texas
Private practice- Lubbock, Texas
Private practice with academic supervision to GI fellows at Bridgeport Hospital- Bridgeport, CT
GI Fellowship at Bridgeport Hospital, Yale New Haven- Bridgeport, CT
Resident in Internal Medicine at Bon Secours Hospital- Grosse Pointe, MI
Research Associate in Department of Pathology and Cell Biology at Thomas Jefferson University- Philadelphia, PA
Externship: Rotating at GMF, MICU
Mercy Catholic Medical Center- Philadelphia, PA
Pre-Medical/Medical School at Damascus University- Damascus, Syria